Please note - If you are a Non-Reply Blogger, you need to leave your email address, so that you can receive a reply, to any questions.



Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Stitching

I am just starting to work on this quilt.  I just received fabric and floss to get started.  I was wondering how everyone is stitching?  Do you stitch first on the white and then cut it to size and piece the block or put the whole block together and then do the stitching?  Which works better?  Thanks and can't wait to get started.

5 comments:

  1. When I stitch I cut the block a little bigger and I stitch first. Then I cut the block to size and then I piece the block. Hope I helped.
    Hugs
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I trace my stitcheries, piece my blocks and then the fun part the stitching ... I like to see my progress grow before my eyes. It is a preferred choice ... there is no right or wrong ... just enjoy your project :-)
    Happy stitching, P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read about stitchers using both ways on here, I think it's just a matter of what you would like to do. I pieced part of my first block (I didn't add the shoofly blocks till later) and then did the stitching (I just didn't iron the interfacing over the edges so I could add the outer pieces and then iron properly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually cut the block bigger than the size and stitch the design but with this one I am doing what Leanne suggests and sew on borders around the block and stitch in the design and then I will take off these borders carefully and then sew the block to the made up pieced blocks. Its nice to try something different for a change. Have fun and you will find what works best for you. I like this idea of Leannes as Hanky Linen is expensive and I then am not wasting any of it by having to cut it back to the required size.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Has anyone else stitched that little bird three times cause they can't settle on a color scheme???
    t

    ReplyDelete